As Thanksgiving is approaching I thought I would post one of my favourite side dishes. Traditionally in the UK stuffing is thought of as the Paxo sage and onion standard or sometimes it is sausage-meat based. In the USA they use bread as the base to their stuffings, this gives it a softer almost creamy-like texture, a great alternative!
I don’t tend to do this that often, but when I am having a big gathering for a roast dinner, this is a filling addition to bulk up the meal and fill those hungry bellies! Try it for yourself and see what you think. I would love to hear your thoughts and if you have any other great Thanksgiving recipes.
340g cubed bread (I used stale french bread but you can use thick cut sliced)
400ml chicken stock
1 medium onion (finely chopped)
2 tbsp Sage (fresh chopped or dried)
2 tbsp Thyme (fresh chopped or dried)
Salt and Pepper
Optional additions: 50g dried cherries and 50g pecans
1. Cut the bread into cubes of approximately 1-2cm. Ensure the bread you are going to use is dried out completely, if not pop in the oven for 10 mins on a temperature of 100c. Bring out and let it cool completely.
2.Transfer bread cubes to a large mixing bowl, pour in the chicken stock and mix completely. Put it to one side
3. Add half the butter to a frying pan, and heat on medium. Add the chopped onion, sage, and thyme.
4. Fry them off in the butter till they are soft and glistening
5. Transfer to the large mixing bowl and mix through the bread and stock mixture
6. If you want to add the optional cherries and pecans stir these in after you have added the onion mixture
7. Baste an oven proof ceramic dish with the remaining butter
8. Add all the mixture to the dish, cover with foil and pop in the fridge for at least an hour. (If you have the time, leave this overnight to soak)
9. The next day bake at 180c/Gas Mark 4/350 degrees F for about 45 minutes or until heated through (Just before you pop in the oven, you can drizzle a bit of sherry on top. Not essential, but it adds a little something)
10. Bake until the top is golden brown
11. Let stuffing stand at least 15 minutes before serving.